CAMARILLO – On Holy Saturday, 8 April 2023, the parish of Saint Mary Magdalen will be having an Easter Basket Blessing (“Święconka“) at 10am at the Saint Mary Magdalen Chapel, 2532 Ventura Boulevard.
A Polish Easter tradition, “baskets containing a sampling of Easter foods are brought to be blessed. The basket is traditionally lined with a white linen or lace napkin and decorated with sprigs of boxwood, and flowers. Poles take special pride in preparing a decorative and tasteful basket with crisp linens, occasionally embroidered for the occasion, and boxwood and ribbon woven through the handle“.
The foods in traditional Polish Easter baskets have a symbolic meaning:
- eggs: life and Christ’s Resurrection
- bread: symbol of Jesus
- lamb made of butter or sugar: represents Christ
- salt: represents purification
- horseradish: symbol of the sacrifice of Christ
- ham: symbol of great joy and abundance
The blessed food remains untouched until breakfast on Easter Sunday morning.